Sunday 4 December 2011

Fav reads of 2011

Reading through the Globe&Mail's top books of 2011 is a daunting task. I feel like I have unfinished homework and I'm a procrastinating slacker. If only I didn't have to work and raise kids I could read all those lovely Canadian literary masterpieces. Maybe over the Christmas holidays when I sit down for a few minutes, if I can prop my eyes open after the turkey feast, I will tuck into some more.

I have only read two on their list - The Antagonist and the Sisters Brothers. I have a few more on hold at the library - Monoceros, The Cat's Table, and Better Living through Plastic Explosives. And now I have a few to add to my list that Santa can buy me - The Guardians, Don't be Afraid, and Every Time We Say Goodbye. Please tell my husband I want these, and to dust off his red velvet suit!

If I were to add one to this mostly comprehensive list of must reads, it'd definitely be The Woefield Poultry Collective by Susan Juby. Not just because she has a great first name, that in Hebrew means lily. But, mostly because it's funny and poignant and ultimately entertaining.

What was on your best of 2011 reading list?

2 comments:

  1. Although it wasn't published this year, I read The Help and it was probably one of the best books I've ever read. I actually want to read it again and that rarely happens. I have the Sisters Brothers so hope to get to that one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we're talking non Canadians then I loved Girls in White Dresses, short stories out of the States and novel by David Nicholls (UK) called One Day. Think One Day is now a movie, but always wonder if they can do it justice on film.

    ReplyDelete