Thursday 12 April 2012

The View at Sunset

 
My son Maclean took this photo when we were in Victoria for my father’s 80th birthday party. This is dusk at Ogden Point.

We arrived on the Thursday morning before Good Friday. My father picked us up at the airport in his convertible BMW – always the cool dude stylishly dressed in jeans and a leather bomber jacket. Bear hugs all around before he dropped us off at my boss’ condo to regroup before lunch with him and an afternoon spent blowing up balloons at my sister’s. My two sons, ten and twelve, gladly helped with decorations and enjoyed goofing around with my sister whom we see less frequently than we’d like.

She took us to the café two hours before the party to set up the tables with white cloths and glass candle holders filled with beach sand, shells and glass beads. My sons helped me tack the balloon bouquets to the railing of the Ogden Point Café as a welcome to the 20 some odd guests who would attend.

My boys cleaned up well in dark pants and button down shirts with their hair combed and their smiles plastered on as the official greeters. They each took one entrance of the café and as the 7pm start time approached they launched into best-behaved mode to impress my father’s tennis buddies, his fellow union club members and his neighbours from the condo. After living in Ontario all his life, he moved to the coast and by all appearances has made it his home.

I nervously prepared for my emcee duties as my sister made sure the food trays looked pretty with wildflowers and the guests were kept in sangria. The boys took pictures and video as they delivered the Grampalloon they had made from a flesh-coloured balloon with a drawn on smiley face, glasses and just the right amount of hair. The three-piece band played Gordon Lightfoot, Neil Diamond and other easy listening favourites and even managed to get the birthday boy up for a few dances. My boys delivered a cupcake with candle to Dad and we all sang Happy Birthday to a proud, yet humbled man on the eve of becoming an octogenarian.

As the candles in the centrepieces burned low and the frantic activity waned to enjoyment of good food, friends and a lovely view, I felt proud of my sons, thankful for my helpful, thoughtful and creative sister, and privileged to have one parent left who makes growing older look so easy.

Just like the stones worn down by the waves in the photo, life smoothes off our hard edges and if we’re lucky leaves us on a hospitable shore. May we all experience the joy of getting better with age like my Pops.

No comments:

Post a Comment