Tuesday 27 March 2012

Inspired to create and pragmatism be damned


Inspiration is a funny thing. I usually have lots of it, alas it’s the perspiration I don’t have as much of; the sweat equity I need to put in to produce that masterpiece. Why does life get in the way? Damn reality! However, it is fiction that can take us beyond the reach of reality.

Johah Lehrer, author of Imagine: How Creativity Works, says “when we venture beyond the edge of our knowledge, all we have is art.” But that muse is illusive so I carry a notebook with me to jot down those aha moments when they spring upon me.

As Mr. Lehrer says though, since I’m older I may have fewer of those. It seems that the older we get, the less inventive we become. Maybe it’s just the whole reality conundrum. When I was younger I had all the time in the world to daydream and didn’t censor any of it. Now, I have to work full time to raise children and keep a home and chauffeur kiddies to tons of after school activities, and clean the house and walk the dog and….so less time to dream.

As an adult I’ve also developed a nasty pragmatist devil on my shoulder reminding me to focus and plant my feet firmly on the ground because dreaming won’t get me anywhere. I try to rein in my creativity to the nights and weekends when I have time to listen to that fickle and fanciful angel sitting on my other shoulder. Seems my muse doesn’t much like the structure and rules of adulthood. According to Mr. Lehrer in the article below, I should tell my inner critic to zip it and let the inspiration flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment