Thursday 27 June 2013

Once a year whether I need it or not

So, it's been a while. Probably a year. I feel like I'm standing up in an AA meeting and saying, 'hi, my name is Susan and I'm an infrequent blogger'. Seems trivial, although everything seems trivial when you live in a city still in a state of emergency in a flood zone where you suffered no damage. Maybe I just needed a big fat natural disaster to knock something loose.

I live in the high and dry NW burbs and I work downtown, but in the middle of downtown where the only thing wet is a Starbucks latte. The worst thing I can say is my train commute is slower so it gives me more time to read and my office closes early every day so I'm forced to go home to my family.

I feel like I'm watching a TV series when they show the ruined homes, the submerged parks and golf courses and the Stampede Grounds where water polo might be a more viable option than bull riding.  I jest, but it's because you could cry if you don't laugh. Driving around the city, you realize how much of it is underwater and how much work lies ahead.

I have a friend at work who used to live in High River so she's collecting donations. It felt good to clean out my closet and my kids' closets to donate clothing to people whose entire life is a muddy wreck. We went to London Drugs after work the other day to buy toiletries, towels, sheets and feminine products for my friend to drop off at a community centre where an entire town has decamped.

My friend in Canmore had a boil water advisory and a town cut off when part of the highway eroded with the flood waters. She's safe, thankfully, but it makes you thank your lucky stars that despite being an insignificant barnacle on Earth's backside that at least Mother Nature missed me this time (2005 flood victim here).

So, I will try to blog more often and I will help out my fellow soggy Calgarians. I will write when I have something to say, I just hope that it doesn't take another natural disaster because we've had enough for now thanks....

No comments:

Post a Comment